Images of the Past: Traverse Building in the 1930s

For more than a century, the Traverse Building has been a fixture on the southwest corner of the Bloomfield square at the intersection of Madison and Franklin streets. This photo from the mid-1930s was made by Bloomfield sign painter Loell Loper.

The Hamilton & Younkin Produce Feed store, formed by Lowell Hamilton and LaVerne Younkin in the spring of 1934, occupied the south half of the Traverse Building at the time Loper photographed the building. This space once housed the Bowling Cafe (Images from the Past, Sept. 21, 2016).

The IAMO (Iowa-Missouri) Food Store chain was located in the north half of the building in this photo. Upstairs above the grocery was the medical office of Dr. DeWitt Goode, D.O., one of the “D children” of Mr. and Mrs. L.E. Goode.

MPA, the information technology services company, now occupies the Traverse Building.

—Rudy Evans  |  revans1953@gmail.com